Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Still Working...

I have not been as attentive as I should have been to Persist: The Blog. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, my trusty assistant, Emily, has been unwell, and unable to report for duty. Our sympathies go out to her, of course. I believe that good health is our most important asset in life, and that it needs to be attended to. I hope to have her back as soon as she feels ready--but no sooner.

The second reason is more complicated. As I think I have mentioned in an earlier post, I have been experiencing the desire to get back to "work"--and by work, I mean the writing that is disconnected from "Persist," both book and blog. I mean the writing that is yet to be done, the next adventure, the next book... I have been doing a good deal of that, and you'll find some of the results on The Buddha Diaries, including the recent post, "Two Deaths," and today's entry, "The Teaching of the Bentley (That Was Not a Bentley But a Bullet-Proof Rolls Royce)." I'm having such a great time doing these essay/stories that all efforts to "persist" have begun to seem unappealingly backward-looking.

Rest assured, however, that this effort will continue. When Emily returns, she will hold my nose back to the grindstone, I'm sure. And I have come to enjoy and admire the community of those who dedicate their energies to inspiring and encouraging creativity in all its forms. I still believe that these are the juices, if any, that will save us from ourselves; if this planet is to survive the assault of resource-grabbing human beings, it will be thanks to the more laudable qualities of the human spirit, which is capable of soaring.

No comments: